A quick Holiday post featuring a list of books with books in them. These are stories where authors have created fictional worlds within worlds. What’s cozier than reading a book? Reading a book within a book! Enjoy!
- & Sons by David Gilbert
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
- Fangirl and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
- Treasure Island!! by Sara Levine
- The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
What are the books? Some are fictional, some are real, all play important roles in these novels.
- Ampersand The headmaster’s son is kidnapped by a gang of students at the fictional Shearing Academy. Think Lord of the Flies meets Catcher in the Rye.
- Jane Eyre A young girl grows up under cruel circumstances, takes a position as a governess for Mr. Rochester, and discovers that things are not what they seem.
- Fillory and Further A series of books about the Chatwin children and their adventures in a land called Fillory. In the first book, they discover Fillory by going through the back of a grandfather clock.
- The Bell Jar A formerly ambitious young woman struggles with an unbearable malaise and rebels against society’s expectations of how she should act and appear.
- Simon Snow A fantasy series set at a magical boarding school featuring a boy with unbelievable power, a prophecy, and a dark evil that threatens magic itself and wears his face.
- Treasure Island Jim Hawkins embarks on an adventure when he finds himself in possession of a map to buried Treasure.
- The Shovels of Newton French Robert Louis Stevenson’s last novel, a family epic spanning six generations.
- Thirteen Tales of Change and Desperation Bizarre and affecting short story collection that mysteriously only contains twelve tales.